Paintings

This blog contains the archive of my paintings, which are of variable quality but all mean something to me.

Friday 3 July 2009

Collection I



The Loulia, Straits of Tiran (2008). A new painting after some years - a 30 minute effort while sitting on a diving boat in the Red Sea in July this year. This ship, the "Loullia" sits stranded on a reef in the middle of the Straits of Tiran off the Sinai Peninsula. The Panamanian registered ship "docked" here safely in 1981 with no loss of life and it's super structure was more even complete until it was struck by a second boat in 2000, detaching the stern and susequently increasing the rate of deterioration. "Lucky white heather" as we say in Scotland.


Canal, Utrecht (1999). Another view through the trees painted while on holiday.


Street Scene and Trees, Netherlands (1999)


Caledonian Hotel, Edinburgh (1999). The first in my view through the trees pictures and one of the four paintings I was going to do from a church yard at the West end of Princes Street. The second of the four is St John's Church below. The other two never happened.






St John's Church, Edinburgh (1999). Part of a view through the trees series. Originally there were to be four paintings, a view North, South, East and West from a church yard at the West end of Princes Street in Edinburgh. This is the South view and the Caledonian Hotel painting is the West view but in the end I found the East and North views uninspiring.




The Yella Boat, Leith (1999). A notorious boat, sitting in the docks in the centre of Lieth, Edinburgh. The boat was painted yellow but its owner much to the dislike of many locals. The boat has now changed hands and has been heavily converted and painted grey. So this is something of a historical document.








Still Life, Wine, Jug & Bottle (1999). A study







Cottage, Lake District (1991). This is painted from a photograph I took of this pretty cottage during a short stay in the Lake District in the North-West of England and then worked up when I got home.




L'Opera, Lille (July, 1990). This was painted on location and as the street was very busy and the seat uncomfortable the painting was quite rushed.




War Memorial, Lille (July 1990). I found this memorial fascinating as it was built into the fabric of an old church and I felt it had a commanding presence. But as I painted this I was asked by a watching local why I painting the ugliest thing in Lille. C'est la vie!


Hands (c.1989). Study




Adam (c.1989). Study




Leithen Valley, Scottish Borders (c.1989). A quick study painted on location a few miles up the valley from Innerleithen.




St Anthony's Chapel, Queen Park, Edinburgh (c.1990). Sitting above St Margaret's loch near the Palace of Holyrood, this is the remains of building probably dating from the 1300s.




Palm House, Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh (c.1990). Grand Dame of the botanic gardens.




Old Graveyard, Innerleithen (c.1988). No longer used and containing mainly Victorian and Georgian graves. Some of the trees are overworked and for some reason I felt the need to place an enigmatic figure in the middle ground. It's far from perfect but a I can't bring myself to dislike it.



Thames Below Westminster (~1989) Iain Rutherford after Claude Monet




Study after Monet's 1871 painting The Thames at Westminster (Westminster Bridge). Originally copied from a black and white photograph of the great master's painting I saw in a book (how absurd to make a black and white photograph of a Monet painting.) For fun, below is an image of the original painting. The colour, of course, is a little different but I like to think it is not too bad an effort. I only wish I really had Monet's eye for colour - or even part of it!

Thames Below Westminster (1871) Claude Monet










North Berwick (August, 1988). A view from this popular seaside resort in Scotland. The dark wood in the water is built on a concrete pier that is submerged when the tide is in. While I was painting this the tide went out and suddenly this large pier appeared in the middle of my painting. I did consider whether to try and include it but sense prevailed.














Innerleithen (c.1998). A view of part of the village where I grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment